This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incomplete Source page

I just generated a web project, using Unlimited Sources (1 page) with both boxes (media file list and media files) checked.

The generated source page (wc_src.html) and the media file folder (sm01) include only the first 169 of my 181 sources.

I then changed the preferences to put 50 per page. This time the highest numbered source was 174.

So I checked source 181. I went to the cited person in Reunion and in the web project. I found that Reunion source 181 had been re-labeled in the web project as source 45.

IN MY VIEW THIS IS A BUG! I don't think the Web Project should go about re-numbering the sources, as it makes it very error prone to use the Web Project for collaboration.

But also, why are there only 174 sources in the Web Project?

I have gone through my Reunion sources and don't see any gaps in numbering, so it seems like the Web Project is skipping some. But which ones? Because of re-numbering, it is virtually impossible to tell at this point.
    Anyone have any thoughts on how to get all of the sources displayed?
    Last edited by wmconlon; 06 May 2014, 03:15 PM. Reason: additional info

Re: Incomplete Source page

Hi Bill,

Originally posted by wmconlon View Post
    I don't think the Web Project should go about re-numbering the sources...
    To use the actual source numbers in citations in reports, follow these steps...

1. Choose Reunion -> Preferences.
    2. Click the Reports button.
    3. Click Sources in the list of options.
    4. Click the Citation Detail menu button and choose With Citations or Ignore.
    5. Uncheck the Renumber citations and endnotes button at the bottom.
    6. Close the Report Preferences window.

Additional information about the renumbering of citations in reports (i.e., the pros and cons) can be found in your manual by searching for "renumber sources" (without the quotes).

Originally posted by wmconlon View Post
    ...why are there only 174 sources in the Web Project?
    I can think of three possible reasons for some sources not being included in the Web Project...

1. Perhaps not all people were included in the web project. I.e., if a source is linked to a field for a person who is not included in the web project, that source will not be included in the web project.

2. Perhaps a source is linked to a "field" that was not included in the web project?

You can verify that all available fields are selected in the web project by choosing Reports -> Web Project. Then, select "Define Layouts" from the appropriate Layout menu(s). (I.e., Family cards and/or Person sheets.)

Information on how to use the Define Layouts window can be found in your manual by searching for "define layout."

3. Perhaps not all sources are being used in your family file. (I.e., an unused source is one that is shown in your Sources sidebar, but is not linked to any field for any person.) You can check for unused sources by opening the Sources sidebar. Then, select "Find Unused Sources" from the Source Tools menu (the hammer) at the bottom of the Sources sidebar.

If there are unused sources, Reunion will list them for you. Then, you can link them up appropriately or delete them.

I hope you find this information helpful:-)
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks. Very helpful.

Comment

You have some misconceptions about source numbering/renumbering in reports. You will be best served by searching the manual for the keywords "source number" without quotes and read the section titled "The Numbering of Source Citations and Endnotes in Reports" in its entirety.

You will then see that Reunion gives you two ways to number sources in reports (yes webprojects are considered as reports). Either numbering method (use original numbers or use renumbering) has its advantages AND disadvantages, so choose wisely depending on your needs and circumstances. Again, the referenced manual section explains the nuances in great detail.

Finally, only those sources which you actually cite from within your webproject pages will appear in the webproject's source list, regardless of how you decide to have sources numbered. So if you exclude some people from your webproject, or if you included everybody in your family file but have sources which you never reference, then these sources may be missing.

Whooops...I see Deb got her highly detailed answer in ahead of me. But as long as I've already typed this, I'll post my reply too.
        Byron Spoon

Comment

Working...
        X