This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpose of Family Multimedia

I have recently upgraded to Reunion 10 from 9. I've read the help files but they don't tell me what purpose is served by the Family Mutimedia function. Could someone enlighten me, please?
    phyljohn

Re: Purpose of Family Multimedia

Originally posted by John Beare View Post
    I have recently upgraded to Reunion 10 from 9. I've read the help files but they don't tell me what purpose is served by the Family Mutimedia function. Could someone enlighten me, please?
    Hi John,
    The family multimedia can be used for images that relate to the family rather than individual members thereof, e.g. you may have a photo of a husband and wife with the children which can be placed in this family mutlimedia area.
    regards,
    Paul

Comment

For one example, I use the Family Multimedia section for placement of headstone photos which contain more than one name, as in husband and wife graves.

Hope this helps.
      John Bastin
      jbastin1@me.com
      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Hi John,

As the term "multimedia" suggests, you can attach almost any kind of file to individual or family records in Reunion using its multimedia functions. I use it for photos, PDF and Word documents, audio files, and videos. It is prudent to try to restrict file types used to those which you are reasonably confident will be supported in years to come for archival purposes. PDF, .doc, JPEG and MPEG files all appear to have this reasonable prospect of archival survival.

"Family Multimedia" is simply a sub-division or category allowing such material to be associated with the current family record instead of simply an individual record. For example, I might link an audio file of Auntie Marj playing piano under her individual Multimedia, but her wedding photos in company with Uncle Joe and other family members belong under Family Multimedia in her record.

Comment

I scanned all my vital records, pension records, etc and attached each pdf to the person it refers to. I attached marriage records to both husband and wife rather than to family simply because I like seeing everything on the family view page. This way I can see each piece of documentation I have for any particular person. So far the most I've attached to a single person has been about 20 documents. I still have thousands of photos and letters to scan. It states in the Limitations section of the Reunion manual that the max number of items per person/family/source is 400.

I've found it a quick way to see what events I need to add. If there is a graduation announcement for someone in the multi-media panel but no such event in their event list then I know I need to add a graduation event for that person.

I think it's neat to be able to see all the documents in one place. I couldn't (or didn't know how) to do that with the program I used before coming to Reunion.

Comment

Working...
          X