This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TMG to Reunion

With the announcement of the end of "The Master Genealogist" most of the users are looking for an alternative program, but given the complexity of this process, the transition with gedcom is not satisfactory. For Windows users, RootsMagic has already announced that they are building a piece of software to do the job, thus acquiring a number of new users.

Since there are many Mac users stuck with a Windows side or a Bootcamp partition only to run TMG, it would be a golden opportunity for Reunion do something similar, building a routine that could import TMG data files.

Easier said than done, but...
    Mac Mini (late 2012) i5 500GB/16GB

Re: TMG to Reunion

Originally posted by Galvao View Post
    With the announcement of the end of "The Master Genealogist" most of the users are looking for an alternative program, but given the complexity of this process, the transition with gedcom is not satisfactory. For Windows users, RootsMagic has already announced that they are building a piece of software to do the job, thus acquiring a number of new users.

Since there are many Mac users stuck with a Windows side or a Bootcamp partition only to run TMG, it would be a golden opportunity for Reunion do something similar, building a routine that could import TMG data files.

Easier said than done, but...

It would certainly be nice to have as many choices as possible. I had started looking for a replacement before Wholly Genes (maker of The Master Genealogist) announced it's discontinuance. Unfortunately, nothing came close. TMG had it's issues - old looking user interface and based on a discontinued database engine, but it also had features and functionality unmatched by any of the competing products. A direct import would be nice, but without the addition of some of these features and functionality, most TMG users will have a difficult time selecting a replacement.

Comment

Today, on Legacy Family Tree's webinar, Geoff announced that Legacy is working to allow import of TMG info to Legacy's software. I don't see anything on their website yet - http://www.legacyfamilytree.com

I would think that, if Legacy can get most of the TMG info, you could get Legacy Family Tree software (free version or $29.95 version) and put it on your Mac via Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. Import into that program and then try a GEDCOM from Legacy to your Reunion program.

I do have Legacy emulated on my Mac. I know I can add GEDCOM to it from Reunion. Haven't tried the other way. Will experiment and let you know.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
        Today, on Legacy Family Tree's webinar, Geoff announced that Legacy is working to allow import of TMG info to Legacy's software. I don't see anything on their website yet - http://www.legacyfamilytree.com
        There is news! See http://www.legacyfamilytree.com. Go to "News" in their menu bar and then click on "Daily News". Go down to the article about TMG.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Deb; 22 September 2014, 02:25 PM.
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post

I would think that, if Legacy can get most of the TMG info, you could get Legacy Family Tree software (free version or $29.95 version) and put it on your Mac via Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. Import into that program and then try a GEDCOM from Legacy to your Reunion program.

I do have Legacy emulated on my Mac. I know I can add GEDCOM to it from Reunion. Haven't tried the other way. Will experiment and let you know.
          TMG worked reasonably well with what GEDCOM allowed - what was lost was whatever GEDCOM didn't handle. Even if Legacy was able to get all TMG data, GEDCOM from Legacy wouldn't have any more capability than GEDCOM from TMG.

Comment

Working...
          X