This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Project

I have been attempting to post a project to DropBox. The file is loading OK but I am getting an error 403 when I try to access the file.
    I have experimented by posting photographs to my DropBox and I am able to view them OK when I select the link I send myself by email so I think I am following the correct procedure.
    One thing that is different to what I did several years ago when I did this successfully on a regular basis is that I have to enter data in a "Contents Page Name" box that I have never seen before. Also missing is the file name containing "toc" that I used to see years ago when I did this regularly.
    I am using a new 27inch iMac Retina on Yosemite and the web project file I am creating is only 30mb in size.
    Where am I going wrong?
    Regards
    MichaelQ

Re: Web Project

Originally posted by MichaelQ View Post
    The file is loading OK but I am getting an error 403 when I try to access the file.
    How are you trying to access the file? E.g., how are you creating the link that you are using to access the file when you get the 403 error? And where in your Dropbox folder is the file being stored? E.g., is it in the "Public" folder (if you have one)?

One thing that is different to what I did several years ago when I did this successfully on a regular basis is that I have to enter data in a "Contents Page Name" box that I have never seen before. Also missing is the file name containing "toc" that I used to see years ago when I did this regularly.
    The reason you don't have the "toc" page is because it's being given the name you specify in the "Contents Page Name" window that opens. You can switch back to the "toc" page by going to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Web, Reports, Files

And selecting "Let Reunion decide the name" under "Cover page", instead of "Prompt for the name of cover page".
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      How are you trying to access the file? E.g., how are you creating the link that you are using to access the file when you get the 403 error? And where in your Dropbox folder is the file being stored? E.g., is it in the "Public" folder (if you have one)?

The reason you don't have the "toc" page is because it's being given the name you specify in the "Contents Page Name" window that opens. You can switch back to the "toc" page by going to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Web, Reports, Files

And selecting "Let Reunion decide the name" under "Cover page", instead of "Prompt for the name of cover page".
      Mark the file generated by Reunion sits in the body of Dropbox beside several other folders one of which stores some photos which I am able to access from a link emailed to myself.

I select the dropbox icon at the top of the browser window and then select the share box that appears to the right of the file. I then select the Send Link option and email the link to myself.
      I select the link in the email and click on the file name in Dropbox. I then select the renamed file which I call Open. This is where the error message 403 appears.

I am happy to share the link with you or anyone else off-forum if it may help.
      Regards
      MichaelQ

Comment

I posted about downloading my web project to wordpress, but am also interested in Dropbox. Are there step by step instructions somewhere how to download to Dropbox? ....for the not-advanced-tech-person?!
        Bonnie Samuel
        Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

I am happy to share the link with you or anyone else off-forum if it may help.
          Please send the link to help@leisterpro.com, thanks
          Mark Harrison

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for sending the link. The problem is that sharing the folder won't work the way you're expecting it to, and since BL asked about these instructions I'm going to answer here (instead of replying to your e-mail).

First, you have to have a Public folder. You should read about Public folders here, there is a chance you don't have a Public folder. Note that simply creating a folder named "Public" won't work, see the linked page for details.

Then, you have to place the Web Project inside of the Public folder and locate the contents page - in your case, that's the Open.htm page, while the default is wc_toc.htm. Then, CTRL+Click/Right-Click on the Open.htm and select the "Copy Public Link" option, the link that gets placed in your clipboard is what you want to share with others so they can view the Web Project.

HTH
            Mark Harrison

Comment

I have been attempting to post a project to DropBox. The file is loading OK but I am getting an error 403 when I try to access the file.
              Michael,

There was quite a long thread about a year ago (search for the subject line "Need help with media pages in web project" or search on YvonneinSonoma or KMGenealogy) but at that time DropBox required the file to be in a public folder (something Dropbox no longer offers but is available). I was able to do it although I no longer use DropBox for my file. Check it out.

Yvonne Bowers
              Last edited by Deb; 19 January 2015, 02:26 PM.
              Yvonne Bowers
              iMac Late 2013/MacBookAir
              Yosemite
              Reunion 11

Comment

Originally posted by YvonneinSonoma View Post
                Michael,

There was quite a long thread about a year ago (search for the subject line "Need help with media pages in web project" <snip>
                Hi Michael, here is the link to the thread. My step-by-step directions start at #18. However, I recommend you read the entire thread, starting with #1 first, all the way through. That will give you the overall feel of what people had done and any tweaks to my directions.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
                Kaye
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for sending the link. The problem is that sharing the folder won't work the way you're expecting it to, and since BL asked about these instructions I'm going to answer here (instead of replying to your e-mail).

First, you have to have a Public folder. You should read about Public folders here, there is a chance you don't have a Public folder. Note that simply creating a folder named "Public" won't work, see the linked page for details.

Then, you have to place the Web Project inside of the Public folder and locate the contents page - in your case, that's the Open.htm page, while the default is wc_toc.htm. Then, CTRL+Click/Right-Click on the Open.htm and select the "Copy Public Link" option, the link that gets placed in your clipboard is what you want to share with others so they can view the Web Project.

HTH
                  Thank you very much Mark - I now have a document that I am able to share through DropBox. Your advice was spot-on.
                  Regards
                  MichaelQ

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                    Hi Michael, here is the link to the thread. My step-by-step directions start at #18. However, I recommend you read the entire thread, starting with #1 first, all the way through. That will give you the overall feel of what people had done and any tweaks to my directions.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
                    Kaye
                    Thank you Kaye and Yvonne - I am up and running with DropBox.
                    Regards
                    MichaelQ

Comment

Re: Web Project using Dropbox

Originally posted by YvonneinSonoma View Post
                      Michael,

There was quite a long thread about a year ago (search for the subject line "Need help with media pages in web project" or search on YvonneinSonoma or KMGenealogy) but at that time DropBox required the file to be in a public folder (something Dropbox no longer offers but is available). I was able to do it although I no longer use DropBox for my file. Check it out.

Yvonne Bowers
                      Michael,

HTH
                      Mark,

I have a web page I created several years ago using Comcast for free. FREE is the operative word here. I recently found out that Comcast is ending their service for people like me to host my site. I have been looking at options and Dropbox looks like a viable option. I have a Dropbox account, the basic free version. I have loaded my web project there and placed it in a Public Folder I created. I can get to my wc_toc.htm file, but there is no “Copy Public Link” option when I click on the file.

All I can do is share the link. When I do, I just get the homescreen (table of contents) without graphics or design.

It appears that to get the “Copy Public Link” option on Dropbox one has to upgrade to one of their paid options instead of the free one that I use. Is this true?

Very frustrated!

Comment

It appears that to get the “Copy Public Link” option on Dropbox one has to upgrade to one of their paid options instead of the free one that I use. Is this true?
                        If your Dropbox account was created after October 4, 2012, then yes, that is true; as explained here. Dropbox offered Public folders to free accounts up until that date, free accounts created after that date are not given Public folders, and the only way for them to get Public folders is to upgrade to Dropbox Pro or Dropbox for Business.
                        Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
                        X