This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web project to Wordpress?

I have started a genealogy blog and want to add some family info pages using Web Project.
    Has anyone had experience with Wordpress? for now I only want to post a direct line pedigree chart.

What other web page services have people found to be straight forward?

https://SamuelFamilyTrails.wordpress.com ......I can add pages to accommodate the pedigree chart....I think!
    Bonnie Samuel
    Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Re: Web project to Wordpress?

I have started to use Wordpress as well and would be interested to hear of an answer to this as well.
    I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
    Using Reunion 10
    Safari

Comment

I've used Wordpress since 2009 and since I'm not too skilled with IT matters, have found it easy to use. I don't think I am using it to the full, but someone more experienced would be able to develop their page(s) to its full potential.

Comment

You gave me a push to really start on my blog for my father's family. For each couple in the direct line back, I have created a family tree chart, opened it in Preview, exported it as a jpg and then inserted this into the blog.

I have attached a screenshot of one of these pages.

I hope this is what you are asking.
        Attached Files
        I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
        Using Reunion 10
        Safari

Comment

Originally posted by BL Samuel View Post
          <snip> What other web page services have people found to be straight forward? <snip>
          I use Blogger. I started a blog to share some written memories of my mother's immediate family. Blogger is easy to use. I'm sad to say, I haven't finished transcribing and adding the memories...let it go for quite a while. One New Year's Resolution is to finish the transcriptions this year and maybe expand it.

Stroop Family Memories from a 1956 family reunion.

I, too, would like to hear if/how others have added Reunion Web Projects to blogs and websites.
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Thanks, Bob White, for pointing out the discrepancy in Hester's death date on my blog. Have no idea where that date came from... Fixed.
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by BL Samuel View Post
              I have started a genealogy blog and want to add some family info pages using Web Project.
              Has anyone had experience with Wordpress? for now I only want to post a direct line pedigree chart.

What other web page services have people found to be straight forward?
              Samuel... yes this is a popular need. What I have done is to set up a Wordpress web site for my description/blog material and to link it to a Reunion web project for the actual Reunion-generated database.

Have a look at my Wordpress site http://genealogy.antipole.co.uk/pages/ and then choose the Access the databases tab and note the link to the Public database. If you look at the URLs you can see how I have two folders on my site /pages for the Wordpress part and /database_public for the web project.

It is not ideal and a Wordpress plugin for Reunion would be great!
              Last edited by Tony Voss; 30 January 2015, 03:32 AM.
              Tony Voss
              antipole genealogy pages

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Voss View Post
                Have a look at my Wordpress site here and then choose the Access the databases tab and note the link to the Public database. If you look at the URLs you can see how I have two folders on my site /pages for the Wordpress part and /database_public for the web project.
                Tony, the Wordpress link did not work for me.
                Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                  Tony, the Wordpress link did not work for me.
                  Whoops - link in original post now fixed - thanks for alerting me.
                  Tony Voss
                  antipole genealogy pages

Comment

Tony,

I like this very much. I think I might try it. I had no trouble accessing the page or the public database.

Yvonne

Samuel... yes this is a popular need. What I have done is to set up a Wordpress web site for my description/blog material and to link it to a Reunion web project for the actual Reunion-generated database.

Have a look at my Wordpress site http://genealogy.antipole.co.uk/pages/ and then choose the Access the databases tab and note the link to the Public database. If you look at the URLs you can see how I have two folders on my site /pages for the Wordpress part and /database_public for the web project.

Yvonne Bowers
                    iMac Late 2013/MacBookAir
                    Yosemite
                    Reunion 11

Comment

Hmmm, wonder if this would work on my Blogger blog. Think it should as it is just a basic link to a specific site. I'll have to try it when I'm ready.
                      Kaye Mushalik

Comment

May I weigh in here? I attempted to create a GoDaddy Website using the WordPress plugin to protect my Web folder from unauthorized eyes. It won't work.
                        I wanted to have a Login screen to pre-authorize a viewer but found that any viewer can go around the screen.

Does any one know how to make it work? GoDaddy can't seem to help despite them selling me the plugin and the address.

Comment

Here is my solution. Very similar to what Tony wrote. A WordPress account and an upgraded Dropbox (because of Public Folder) was needed. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Because my website is in German this advice: Click on the image above ...

Comment

I do like your wordpress site and the idea to access your web project to it to allow family or others to view the whole tree.

I'm someone who needs to see how something is done so I don't fully understand how you have allowed access to your data base. Is this something you could explain please?

Diane
                            I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                            Using Reunion 10
                            Safari

Comment

If you look at the URLs you can see how I have two folders on my site /pages for the Wordpress part and /database_public for the web project.

Hello again, in the meantime i have changed from wp.com to wp.org. But makes no progress in case of my web project. It works, but only with the Public Folder in Dropbox.

Could you please tell me what you mean with "database public" Tony? Maybe I misunderstood you. (My English is poor as you can read): Is your "database public" in your webspace, or where else? How do you built it?

Thank you!!

problem solved, thank you!
                              Last edited by Lena R; 13 November 2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: problem solved

Comment

Working...
                              X