Citations in note fields in GEDCOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citations in note fields in GEDCOM

When exporting to a gedcom file, source citations in the notes field are relocated to the end of the field in the gedcom file and, far more importantly, are mostly lost.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Please help!

Re: Citations in note fields in GEDCOM

Originally posted by Charles S View Post
    When exporting to a gedcom file, source citations in the notes field are relocated to the end of the field in the gedcom file...
    This is the intended behavior. And it's because the GEDCOM standard does not support citations in the middle of text or anywhere else inside a field. (Whereas, Reunion support citations anywhere in a note field.)

There should be no citations lost when exporting; if you think you're seeing that, then send us your family file and let us know what field or person where this happens.

Instructions for sending a family file are located here...

Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles S View Post
      When exporting to a gedcom file, source citations in the notes field are relocated to the end of the field in the gedcom file and, far more importantly, are mostly lost.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Please help!
      What I have done is to write [Source x] immediately before placing the citation for Source x - this survives in the GEDCOM file in place.

And the end result of this can be seen here

Roger
      Attached Files
      Last edited by theKiwi; 03 February 2018, 08:01 PM.
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        What I have done is to write [Source x] immediately before placing the citation for Source x - this survives in the GEDCOM file in place.

And the end result of this can be seen here

Roger
        Thanks for the suggestion. I can see how that would work since it prevents the citations from being separated by commas which seems to be part of the problem. Still that would require my editing thousands of fields which I hope to avoid.

It's the loss of citations that is the real problem, not their relocation to the end of the field.

Hopefully, that will be seen as a bug that can be corrected.

Comment

Working...
        X